About Secure Access:
The Secure Access Portal allows registered users access to the Department for Education's systems. Access to systems is granted on a user-by-user basis and only those systems that a user has permission to access will be displayed.
How to log in
If you have previously logged in to Secure Access and your account has been upgraded to be an 'Approver', please complete the Approver claim process detailed in the 'Secure Access Approver Guide' found on the Secure Access web page.
If this is your first time logging in to Secure Access, and you had an account for accessing COLLECT, S2S or KtS prior to 3 December 2012, use your existing COLLECT username and password to enter the system. You will also need a unique PIN to activate the account. If you do not have the PIN, please complete an SA service request.
You will be required to select a new password once you have logged in. Once you have selected a new password, the existing password can be discarded as it will no longer be valid.
Once you have entered the PIN, you'll be asked to follow these steps:
- If your organisation's details have been imported into the system, they will be displayed on screen and need to be confirmed before the account details can be checked (step 2). If the organisation you have been linked to is correct, click on the 'Confirm' button, otherwise please complete an SA service request.
- In all cases, user account details will be displayed. The first name, last name, and email address fields can be modified if incorrect and we do not need to be advised of any changes made. If you are a school, the name associated with the account must be the individual that will take responsibility for the account, e.g. head teacher.
- Select a password from a list of seven suggestions and make a careful note for future reference as the password is case sensitive.
- Enter a security question and answer. If you are a school user, please ensure the head teacher and any other user who will be given access to this account is made aware of the question and answer, which will be needed for account management processes - for example, retrieving forgotten passwords. Please note: the security question is case sensitive.
- Click on the 'Submit' button.
If this is not your first time logging in to Secure Access, please use the username and password that you selected during the registration process. Your username and password consist of strings of random characters, digits or both. The password is case sensitive.
If you have forgotten your login details, please see the 'Trouble shooting login problems' section on this page.
How to get an account if you don't already have one
If your organisation already has Approver, please contact this person to request an account. If your organisation does not have an Approver or you do not know who your Approver is please complete an SA service request.
Troubleshooting login problems
Username or password not recognised
- If you have not logged in to Secure Access previously, please try using your S2S login credentials instead of your COLLECT credentials.
- If you have previously logged in to Secure Access, retrieve your access details by selecting the 'Forgotten username or password' link located just beneath the 'Login' button. You will need to enter the registered email address the user account was set up with and will need to know the answer to the security question.
- If you are still unable to access Secure Access with the options given above, please complete an SA service request.
Troubleshooting problems after log in
Unable to access the system that you require when logged in to Secure Access
- If your organisation has an Approver, please contact this person to update your access to the required systems. If your organisation does not have an Approver please complete an SA service request.
Unable to change organisation details
- If your account is linked to an incorrect organisation, this cannot be updated in Secure Access. Please complete an SA service request.
Forgotten security question and/or answer
- If you are able to log in to Secure Access and have forgotten the security question and answer, you can change your question or answer to a more memorable one by going to the 'Change your security question' link on the left-hand side menu of the 'Your account' page, once you have logged in.
- If you are not able to log in to Secure Access and have forgotten your security question and answer, contact your organisation's Approver in the first instance - they can restore your access to the account. If your organisation does not have an Approver, please complete an SA service request.
Other queries not addressed above
- Please see the 'Frequently asked questions' document on the Secure Access web page. If you are still having problems, complete an SA service request.